Coconut Beef Curry
Recipe type: Main Meal
Reassuringly tasty and simple, this is a great one for Friday nights in!
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion. sliced
- 2 tbsp vindaloo curry paste
- 1kg (2lb 4oz) chuck steak, 3cm cubes
- 250 ml (9 fl oz) beef stock
- 200ml (7 fl oz) coconut milk
- 250g (9oz) basmati rice
- ¾ tsp ground turmeric
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until starting to soften.
- Add the curry paste and stir for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add the steak and brown evenly for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender. Uncover and cook for 15 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Add the coconut cream, return to the boil, and simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- About 25 minutes before the beef is ready, put the rice in a large saucepan. Add the turmeric and 435ml (15fl oz) water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Divide the rice between 4 bowls and top with the curry.