Jamaica Ginger Cake
Recipe type: Cake
I love this cake! It’s deliciously moist with a lovely ginger kick. It’s light enough to enjoy at any time.
- 250g unsalted butter
- 275g soft dark brown sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 tbsp fresh grated root ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml milk
- 320g plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 C (170 for fan ovens)
- Grease and flour a 20cm / 8" square pan
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs gradually, then stir in the fresh ginger and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just incorporated. Pour batter into prepared tin.
- Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a serving plate.
- Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving.